Shanghai Junk

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

JULY 19, 2007

Greetings, loyal readers. We are, as they say, back in business. After an eventful two months back in the land of English language, junk food, and relatively good driving conditions (orange barrel zones notwithstanding), we have returned to Shanghai to continue the adventures begun earlier this year. Actually, I was in the USA for two months, Randy only managed two weeks vacation (not nearly enough time to actually get relaxed .... shoot, he only barely got over jet lag, then had to return, poor guy!). But as they say, back to reality.

Ah, yes .... SUMMER IN SHANGHAI!! Sounds like the latest Daniel Steele novel, doesn't it? Well, let me enlighten you .... it's not nearly so romantic. Yes, that sound you hear is the "whining" alert going off. If you don't want to deal with MAJOR whining at this point, please skip down a couple of paragraphs and continue reading because I need to get this out of my system.

Being from Michigan, I'm used to temperature extremes (all my fellow Michiganians will back me up on this), but this is ridiculous. We came off the plane at approximately 9:00 PM Monday evening after what was a pretty good flight (a couple of margaritas at Chili's in Detroit prior to take off went a long way to shorten our flight, if you know what I mean). Luggage took a while, but finally showed up on the belt. Found our driver, and we're off. We walked out of the airport and literally into a steam sauna! There was this immediate sense of wetness and heavy air all around not to mention extreme heat. And it's well after dark at this point. I'd been warned of this heat, but I have to say, I really had no idea.

Maybe this is something that simply requires some getting used to, but considering the fact that our friend, Cathy (a local Shanghaiese), calls this the two months of FIRE, I assume that it only gets worse before it gets better. As it is often heard stateside, it's not the heat, it's the humidity. Well, OK, it's BOTH!! All one needs to do is walk outside, and any activity more strenuous than breathing seems quite excessive ... and even the breathing activates sweat glands that I didn't even know I possessed. It's like a 24/7 hot flash (my postmenopausal lady friends will sympathize)!!! My life is currently relegated to showering, changing clothes (3 to 4 times per day), and doing laundry so as to always have something clean and dry in which to change (no, I'm NOT shopping for more clothes. That would require me to actually LEAVE the air conditioned premises ... uh, uh, ... no way ... ain't gonna happen!!). Yesterday, it hit 100 degrees, and they don't seem to measure the humidity (it might make them suicidal), but it must be near 100%. And as the Carpenters used to sing, we've only just begun.

Let me put your mind at ease. As mentioned above, we DO have air conditioning in our apartment. In fact, there is a separate unit in each room except the kitchen and bathrooms for both heating and cooling (this is so that one only need heat or cool the room that is occupied so as to reduce energy usage ... not a bad plan). It has taken some experimentation to connoiter the correct configuration, but we seem to have it down to running only the dining room unit, the most centrally located in the apartment, while keeping all the doors shut. This cools the dining and living areas nicely. We can cool any room pretty quickly in the event we will be occupying that room simply by opening the door.

It's a pretty efficient system. The AC runs pretty much nonstop right now, but keeps it comfortable in our humble abode. In fact as a bonus, the AC unit, which sits upon the patio outside our kitchen, throws off so much residual heat that I can brew a pitcher of tea upon it in just a few minutes!

Unfortunately, I find myself looking for excuses not to go outside in much the same manner as I have in the winter back in Michigan. I've always considered myself a "summer" person. You've all heard me say it ... "Heat doesn't bother ME!" I have, in less than three days time, revised that statement ... retracted it, in fact!! Fortunately, right now the jet lag wakes me at around 4:30 or 5:00 in the morning. I have found that this is a GREAT time to go for that daily walk (still quite warm out ... last night it cooled to around 86 degrees), but bearable for a 45 minute power walk, leaving plenty of time for the first shower and change of clothes in time for 8:30 Tai Chi (currently an indoor activity to take advantage of the AC). In fact, the grounds of the apartment complex is quite busy at this early time of day. I noticed quite a few walkers and at least one jogger. Many of the benches were occupied by quite a few couples with babies who no doubt have been awakened by the early dawn.

OK, I do have a bit of romance to pass along ... many of these couples take turns fanning each other and/or baby (if they have one) with big, beautiful Chinese fans (yes, they REALLY use them). It made for a very sweet scene early this morning. Lots of elderly folks were out for their daily exercise. Most have this habit of walking with their hands clasped behind their backs. Seems to be a Chinese mannerism. Several folks were squatted chatting the latest local gossip. In spite of the heat, it was an idyllic scenario. It helped my disposition that there finally seemed to be a bit of breeze, and it was slightly overcast.

I think I'd mentioned in earlier posts that sometimes the smells of the street can be an olfactory affront to the senses. Well, in this heat, the severity of that situation is hard to describe appropriately. Suffice it to say that once one leaves our complex, there is no doubt about the fact that many choose to relieve themselves wherever it's handy on the street. I walked to the market yesterday to buy fruit and vegetables. I had a notion that the market might be overwhelming in terms of the stench. I had not underestimated this situation. It smelled like rotting vegetables and decaying meat and fish ...... PHEW!!! Between the smell and the heat, my shopping was accomplished VERY quickly! All I could think was, "Get back to my lovely apartment complex and the AC!!" OK, I know ... I'm spoiled. I will say that I never knew I could sweat so much. Randy tells me it's a good weight loss system. I'll let you know on that score.

Luckily, we have a LOT of green space and lovely trees in our complex, as well as a brand new (and HUGE) outdoor pool that is getting a lot of use. Even if it doesn't feel like it, it gives the appearance of coolness to our immediate area. Kudos to Randy for picking out this location. I can't imagine anywhere in this city that would be as comfortable. Now if only they would open a grocery store here, I'd have it made. Actually, we could have our groceries delivered, but as my grandmother says, that's the height of extravagance. Does me good to get out and mingle with the locals anyway. I wanted the Chinese experience ... I'm certainly having it now!

Now that we're back in the Orient, I'll try to be more timely about updating the blog. It was quite satisfying when I was home to hear how many of you are actually reading it, and I received many positive comments about it. Thanks for your dedication. It's nice to know that we have folks back home interested and pulling for us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home