Shanghai Junk

Thursday, August 30, 2007

AUGUST 31, 2007

I've been pretty busy the last couple of weeks. Some interesting new folks have come into our lives recently. I received a text message from my friend, Toni, saying that she'd met someone that I simply must know. Mike and Ali are a couple from Australia who live in the penthouse of building 10 with which we share a lobby. They are a lovely couple with children grown and out of the house, and those children have a few children (someone with whom we can brag about grandchildren). But the biggest reason Toni felt Ali and I would make great friends is that Ali was looking for someone to dog sit occasionally. Toni has heard me whine often enough about missing Mattie and, rightly so, decided that having a dog in my life might do me some good, bless her heart.

Ralph is an old poodle mix, beige-ish in color, slightly to mostly deaf (could be selective hearing), and is a really lovable old guy (he reminds me of a miniature Airedale). When I called Ali at Toni's insistence, she immediately invited me over for coffee. When Ali let me into their lovely apartment, Ralph was sleeping on the sofa. He didn't open his eyes or twitch a muscle (Mattie would have been barking her fool head off). I asked Ali if Ralph was deaf. She replied, "Could be. Can't be certain, really," in that wonderful Aussie accent. She sat down next to Ralph on the sofa, and still no movement. I had a brief moment of panic that Ralph might have taken the moment of my arrival as the moment of his departure spiritually, but finally he opened one eye. Then I had a brief moment of concern that maybe he was also blind. Finally, he opened the other eye, and noticed that there was a stranger in the room. He jumped off the sofa and trotted over to check me over thoroughly ... gave me a good sniffing. Ralph may be old, but the sniffer is in prime working condition. He decided I was OK, and let me pet him for a respectable amount of time (he's polite, too).

Ali and I had a lovely visit during which time I learned that she works part time doing relocation service work, and it is normally during those times that she is in need of someone to look after Ralph. Ralph has a heart condition and is medicated for that problem which makes it a bit more necessary than usual for a trot out of doors during the day. Ralph and I both decided that we'd make a pretty good match, so Ali and I made dates for the upcoming Monday and Tuesday for Ralph to stay at our apartment while she worked.

In the meantime, Ali allowed me to walk Ralph a couple of times so as to get used to the old guy and his habits. He isn't much for the Shanghai heat (well, who is???), and slows down pretty quickly, usually with a fair amount of panting and coughing. My biggest fear is that Ralph will go to his great eternal reward on MY watch, but at his age (11 years), I suppose every day is a gift.

Ralph showed up Monday morning around 10:00 with his Mum who was also bearing a basket of necessities for Ralph's day .... his water bowl, a sausage treat, and a leash. Ralph spent a half hour to 45 minutes giving the place a good once over (a dog can never be too sure) and woofing once or twice to the dog who lives above us, and having found the place to his satisfaction, settled down for a little nap on the sofa.

Taking Ralph outside is an interesting journey. I have always been the owner of female dogs, so the male habit of "anointing the world" with his scent is a new one for me. As mentioned previously, Ralph has a pretty good sniffer, and it seems as though if an offensive aroma is detected, it must immediately be covered with "Ralph" scent. Male dogs must have bladders the size of Nebraska. Ali said she is sure she can see him counting the trees and doing the calculation in his head ("OK ... 4 trees ... that means 3.2 ounces of pee per tree before I run out."). And the guy pulls pretty well for a forty-ish pound dog. He decides where he's going, and that's pretty much the direction taken. Good thing the old ticker is a bit worn because once he's been in the heat for a few minutes, he's ready to get back into the AC for a rest (me too).

Suffice it to say that Ralph has TWO Mums now. After a couple of days in our apartment, Ali said that Ralph immediately pulled towards our side of the lobby at the conclusion of his Wednesday morning sojourn. And he was none to pleased to be dragged back to the penthouse where he proceeded to sit by the door with an expectant expression ("Come on, Mum! We're off to Roxanne's now, right?"). I emailed someone this week that it doesn't make me miss Mattie any less though. It's like having kids ... apparently the heart expands to include more than one dog too!

Ali has become a terrific friend, and we seem to be kindred spirits in many ways. There have been some fun shopping trips, lunch, and coffees. Ali really knows her way around Shanghai, and has been an amazing resource for many items about which I was clueless. One of the things that Ali has helped me accomplish is the acquisition of an Ayi (maid).

Oh, I can hear the groans now ... "You're not even working! What do you need a maid for?" And I felt exactly the same way for the first several months here. How the heck would I justify my existence if I hired an Ayi?

Well, let me say this about that. I have never liked cleaning .... but I DO like a clean residence. Yes, I'm fully capable, but the fact is that an Ayi can be hired for less than $2.00 per hour (sometimes MUCH less), and I figure this apartment can be cleaned in 5 hours. That's $10 a week to have the place completely cleaned (and I am only having her one day per week). Also the fact is that there are many locals here that need the work, so I am helping to contribute to the local community financially. And at that price, I became convinced that there isn't anything wrong with having someone come in and do the things I REALLY hate .... the dusting, floors, bathrooms, patios .... all of which get dirty MUCH faster here than in the states for some reason (pollution perhaps?). Besides that, I was the only expat I knew who did not have an Ayi (yes, I CAN be persuaded to go along with the crowd occasionally). So I am going against my lifetime mandate ("only if I'm working full time will I hire somebody to clean for me"). I'm mature enough to admit when I'm wrong ... especially if it gets me out of some cleaning (quit rolling your eyes at me).

She started this morning and so far, so good. She doesn't speak any English, but my pidgin Mandarin seems to be doing the trick so far. I did have the foresight to compile a list of duties that I wanted performed, and had it put into Mandarin by my friend, Suely (who has TWO Ayi's ... see, I'm not SO bad). Ayi walked in the door, took the list from my hand, and went to work. And I'm using the time to write which thrills me no end!! Case closed. Besides, I HAVE a part time job as a dog sitter now ... right? OK, I'll now quit trying to assuage my guilt. Did I tell you that some of my expat friends have Ayi's EVERY DAY? OK, OK, I really will quit now.

I know this is going to push some of you over the edge in terms of having ZERO sympathy for me whatsoever, but my bargain of the week was a manicure and pedicure for less than $8.00 USD for both!! Ali and I went shopping, and Toni had put a bug in our ears about the cheap nail treatments. It took a little while for us to find the out-of-the-way kiosk run by a couple of young Chinese girls, but we persevered until we did. GREAT bargain!!

Then, to top that off, we found Carlo Rossi red wine for less than $2.00 US a bottle at a local market. Usually, the only reasonably priced wine here is the Chinese variety, suitable only to mix with oil for salad dressing (my apologies to the Chinese vineyards, but the stuff is truly unpalatable). Randy and I had stumbled upon some Argentian red for around $8.50 US last week, and thought we'd struck gold. But Ali held up a bottle of Carlo Rossi in the market and yelled over to me, "Ever drink this?" I replied, "That's what you and I have been drinking at our apartment the last two days." (Not ALL day, only when she came to pick up Ralph ... I haven't gone completely bonkers!!). At which point, she drew my attention to the fact that it would be on sale until October 31 for under $2.00 a bottle .... time to stock up (as long as it lasts)!

So things are going really well. I'm still doing Tai Chi daily, and I actually think I'm noticing some improvements in my body. One of the Chinese ladies, whom I consider one of the better Tai Chi performers, told me today "How well you doing now!!" Wow, made me feel great! I actually purchased one of the CD's from Luo Shu and had practiced at home a bit, and that seems to have made a difference. We start again with Luo Shu next week, so I will have a few more weeks of semi-private instruction which will be good for me. I understand that there will be an opportunity to learn sword dancing from him as well. Luo Shu even sells the swords which are apparently decorative enough to be used as a work of art when not in use as a dancing foil. Randy is no doubt secretly whispering a prayer of thanks that I no longer suffer from PMS.

The hot weather has broken at bit here in Shanghai, thankfully. The evenings are offering up cool breezes which we welcome with open arms and uplifted faces. We even had a day of lovely summer showers one day this week, cool and cleansing. It's still in the upper 80's during the day (and is sure to hit the 90's again before summer is said and done), but occasionally now dips into the 70's at night. We still need the AC at night for sleeping, but the promise of autumn is in the air, and gives us lightweights from Michigan some hope for the arrival of a more comfortable climate soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home