Shanghai Junk

Thursday, October 30, 2008

OCTOBER 30, 2008

Life has a way of throwing curve balls. I used to be a catcher on a softball team when I was in my 20's so I've had a little experience, but seems like the pitches are fast balls these days!

My mother called me shortly after the last post to tell me that my father had failed an EKG and was scheduled for a heart cath within a few days. The next call was to tell me that Dad was being scheduled for heart by-pass surgery. We always knew that during our time in Shanghai, we might have some tough decisions to make regarding family emergencies. And so here it was.

Honestly, I have to say that it didn't take me long to make my decision. My father has always been unconditionally present for my brother and me (you may recall his offer of making the trip to China to hold my hand after the earthquake terrified me), and even though he poo-poo'd the surgery, the idea that something could indeed go wrong with me being on the other side of the world haunted me. I asked Randy to book me a ticket right away.

To complicate the issue, it was discovered during the heart cath that Dad had a somewhat serious heart defect. Instead of the usual 3 major arteries that most folks possess, Dad only has 2 (something no one had ever detected previously, even in previous heart caths). One artery had 2 serious blockages (over 90%) and the other had one (80%). As such, the surgery would need to be accomplished during open heart surgery instead of the usual laparoscopy that is the usual surgery for by-pass these days.

I won't bore you with the details of the surgery and subsequent days spent in cardiac ICU, but other than a few minor bumps, Dad did quite well (probably better than my mother who I fully expected to be in the next bed due to the stress of the situation) and is currently continuing to recover nicely. I do so wish they'd have thought to install Patience 1.0 into my father's body while they had it open. I think my father is the only heart surgery survivor to believe that he should indeed be getting back to his twice daily 4 mile walk only two weeks after surgery. We are threatening Dad with unusual uses of duct tape these days!!

No sooner did we have my father installed on the living room sofa at my folks' house when a trip out to the nursing home to visit my grandmother by my brother and me revealed she'd suffered a serious down-turn. My grandmother had been diagnosed with inoperable cancer this summer and we'd been told that she would have about a year to live. At 94 years of age, we were mostly philosophical about my grandmother's situation. My brother and I were quite surprised to find that she'd not eaten anything in several days and seemed much more feeble than when I'd last seen her just a few weeks prior before my last return to Shanghai. Seems the oncologist had missed the target by more than just a bit.

The last week has seen my mother and I making a 40 minute trip out to the nursing home sitting vigil with my grandmother in her final days. The ladies who operate the nursing home are truly angels sent from God, as are the hospice workers who worked tirelessly to relieve Grandma's pain and suffering (and who succeeded for the most part). My mother was torn between wanting to keep watch over my father who was chomping at the bit to resume normal activities, and spending the last moments of her mother's life by her side. We managed to do both every day for a week with the help of beloved friends and family. You folks know who you are .... thank you for your dedication, devotion, and assistance! And God bless.

My grandmother went to her eternal reward this morning while the ladies of the nursing home held her hand, played music, and read Bible verses to her so that she would not die alone before my mother and I could arrive to be with her. The ladies of Vadavilla, as well as the Hospice nurses, are the most amazing individuals I have ever met. It is no exaggeration to say that they are indeed saints on earth. Shelli, Lee Ann, Dawn, Jenny, Judy, Carol, and Irma .... you each have my eternal gratitude! What you ladies accomplish day in and day out is nothing short of daily miracles. Your efforts are, by every measure of the word, heroic! Any simple "thank you" is completely inadequate for all you do!! Love, peace, and blessings to you all, ladies!!!

So my Shanghai adventures are postponed for more pressing matters for a few weeks. I will be staying on in Michigan until shortly after Thanksgiving. And Happy 9th Anniversary to my hubby who is holding down the fort back in Shanghai ..... I'll make it up to you, Sweetie!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home