Shanghai Junk

Sunday, March 01, 2009

March 2, 2009

If there are any followers of "Shanghai Junk" remaining (and I am praying that you have not given up on me), I sincerely apologize for my long absence. And thank you for your loyal readership. Explanations are detailed below.

Grandma's funeral was truly lovely and moving, made more so by the thoughtful efforts of Reverend John Becker of the First Presbyterian Church of Vassar who took the time to interview the family so as to give a supremely meaningful service. The church to which Grandma belonged is at the present time without a pastor. And while they were more than happy to host the service and a beautiful luncheon (thank you ladies of the Grace American Lutheran Church also of Vassar), John's professional services were procured to "pitch hit" in the absence of a permanent shepherd to the Grace American flock. Bless you, John. I daresay it might have been the best funeral I have ever attended (is that an oxymoron .... a really GREAT funeral???). Also amazingly beautiful flowers were arranged by Pam Hanlin of Hanlin Funeral Home (where I continue my efforts to have the slogan "Good Grief!" adopted). Again, thank you Dale and Pam for your thoughtful consideration and friendship. Life is much more special due to folks like you!! There are many others that should be mentioned and thanked ..... I hope you know who you are and how much you are loved. My family is SO lucky to have our lives filled with people of your outstanding kindness!

I spent the remainder of the month of November assisting my parents with various post-surgical and post-funeral tasks and errands. My father's healing was progressing quite nicely but he was prohibited from driving for about two months. My mother does not drive so I was kept quite busy with chauffeur duties on their behalf which I was very happy to assume. I also took this time to finish my Christmas shopping which was abruptly abbreviated when I left Shanghai so suddenly. Between driving duties, I enjoyed, once again, American TV, got hooked on What Not To Wear on TLC, enjoyed American politics from an American perspective, and ate all the food I wouldn't normally find in China.

Mother Nature was cruel to Michigan this year ..... winter came early and with a vengeance (another good reason for me to drive the folks .... seriously crappy roads), and I did MORE than my fair share of driveway shoveling during my stay in Michigan. I kept thinking that an Indian summer must be in our future yet but it never materialized. I believe November saw some of the largest accumulations of snow on record (for that month) in the state of Michigan, so I was doing an ordinate amount of grumbling right along with the permanent residences of my home state.

However, I was enjoying renewing my relationship with my beloved Aussie Shepherd, Mattie, home with me for a while, as well as spending time with family and friends, and getting ready for Thanksgiving, my favorite American holiday (all the food, none of the gift wrapping!!!). The weekend prior to Thanksgiving, I had a lovely visit from my oldest son, David, his wife, Melissa, the three grandkids, and we also exchanged Christmas gifts at that time as the assumption was that I'd be returning to Shanghai the first week of December where I would have the holidays with Randy. I hosted Thanksgiving at my house and my youngest son, Jake, had flown in for a week's visit from the Atlanta area.

David informed me during his pre-Thanksgiving visit that he'd be taking custody of another dog for a couple of months (he and Melissa are Mattie's caretakers during our stint in China) as his father was undergoing cancer treatments. As such, his father and stepmom would have to live at the treatment center for several months and needed pet care for their lab mix, Roxy (no NOT named for me, the dog was already named upon adoption by David's father and stepmother). Wondering how or IF Mattie would take to having to share her space with another dog (she's always been an only "child"), David asked about the possibility of Mattie going to live with Norma during this period of time. While Norma adores Mattie (and trust me, the feeling is mutual), she also has custody of Sami, a cat which she inherited from Randy's younger brother, Brian, and Sami does NOT adore Mattie (and trust me, the feeling is mutual). So with much regret, Norma understandably declined our request of babysitting for Mattie for such a long period of time.

I was on the phone with Randy one evening lamenting our lack of pet care situation just a few days before my planned departure for Shanghai when Randy suggested that I simply stay in Michigan, take care of Mattie, and he'd fly home for the holidays. I was happy to accept his suggestion .... the last six weeks had been quite stressful, and I was looking forward to having some time to relax a bit stateside as well as enjoy a truly "Michigan" Christmas!! My shopping was accomplished and I could take a little time to "catch my breath" before his arrival on December 18. So we delayed my flight so that we could return together the first week of January.

The time flew and soon Randall arrived. Of course, as soon as everyone heard that Randy was going to be home for Christmas, our calendar filled up. We enjoyed many gatherings of family and friends, and before we knew it, we were bemoaning having to return so quickly to China.

My folks had gone south to my brother's home in South Carolina for the holidays, and then continued south to their newly inherited house in Port Charlotte where my grandmother and grandfather had spent numerous winters post-retirement. As the time approached for our departure to China the first week in January, we were still without a suitable situation for Mattie. During one such discussion about that as well as our upcoming time off for the Chinese New Year (last week in January, first week in February), Randy asked me how I'd like to spend our Chinese New Year holiday in Florida. "Well, twist my arm!!" I replied. So quickly, a plan was hatched whereby I'd fly to Florida to my folks' place mid-January (it didn't make sense to fly the long flight to China and then back again two weeks later) and Randy would meet me there later in the month for a truly relaxing vacation in the warm sunshine of Florida. I could keep Mattie a few weeks longer AND partake of a tropical vacation!! Hence, my stay stateside was extended once again. Norma very graciously offered to have her grand-dog as a guest during my visit to Florida (much to Sami's chagrin), and David said that Mattie could go home to Grand Rapids within a few short weeks. Problem solved.

And so it was with a not-quite-so-heavy heart that I dropped off my beloved (Randy, not Mattie .... I know, it's confusing!) at the airport in Detroit for his return trip to Shanghai (duty calls, after all), made much lighter by the fact that we would be reuniting in a couple weeks in sunny Florida. We lead complicated lives, do we not?

After a canceled flight from Shanghai, Randall (re-routed through Los Angeles) managed to arrive in Florida on January 25 for a wonderful 9-day vacation (in spite of some unseasonably cool weather .... seems Florida was having a fairly harsh winter too). We enjoyed a few strolls on the beach (Randy with fishing pole in hand, of course), some shopping and sight-seeing, we stuffed ourselves with fresh seafood and were truly lazy enough to amuse ourselves with books, crosswords, Sudoku, and Bejeweled to which Randy and I have managed to become addicted due to his Christmas present, a new I-Touch. I was grateful for the time to reconnect with my folks leisurely and commence again my twice daily fitness walks with my father who seems to have completely recovered post surgery. Randy and I got to watch the Super Bowl which might have been the first such event for us in three years. What a treat!! American football, chicken wings, and guacamole!!

I flew back home to Michigan on February 11 to prepare myself for the long journey back to Shanghai February 18. I had quite an extensive list of things to accomplish before I could travel as I'd been stateside for almost four months at that point ... banking, notify police and neighbors that the house would be unoccupied again, gather income tax information, one last visit with family and friends, etc. I spent my last weekend in Grand Rapids with my son, his family, and Mattie (broke my heart ... I can still see in my mind's eye her watching me sadly out the window while I drove away). My family all tease me that I miss the dog more than I do the people. It's not QUITE true but my issue is that I can explain the situation to the people .... but not the dog!! I have to admit that it was with more than a little melancholy I hugged and kissed good-bye my best friend, Judy, and boarded the plane to head back to China (where many of my Shanghai family were anxiously awaiting my arrival). Yes, I'd missed my husband more than anything while we were apart and we both longed to return to a "normal" life (as normal as life can possibly be in China anyway). But no matter how long I live abroad, USA is HOME in my heart ..... and always will be!

My plan is to commence re-chronicling our Shanghai adventures this week. Already there are events to report with additional plans on the calendar for future submissions. So Shanghai Junk has resumed in earnest!! Again, thank you, readers, for your patience!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home